Origin and vision of the
Dialogue between exhibition and architecture
The palace building, completed in 1730, consists of a two-story main house with a characteristic high roof and two pavilions that are connected to the main house by gallery buildings. For centuries the extraordinary building was the seat of the von Maltzahn family.
After the expropriation following the Second World War, it was used in different ways, after reunification it stood empty and fell into disrepair. In 2011, the Berlin art collector Torsten Kunert acquired the ensemble, which was classified as a national monument, with the intention of creating a publicly accessible cultural site with its photographic collection.
Today, the two floors of the main building are reserved for the permanent exhibition of selected collections, while an annually changing thematic exhibition is shown on the top floor. Cabinet exhibitions in one of the pavilions, a permanent exhibition with sculptures by the sculptor Uwe Schloen and music events complement the cultural offerings in the castle. In the outdoor area, a summer flower meadow invites you to take a walk from the castle down to Germany’s eighth largest lake.
Committed to the dialogue between exhibition and architecture, new photographs will be carefully selected from the Photography Collection in 2023. In 2024 the art collection experiences a reopening!