History | Schloss Kummerow

History of Schloss Kummerow

History of a grand house

Château Kummerow and the family of Maltzahn

Completed in 1730, the history of Schloss Kummerow is closely linked to the history of the family of those of Maltza(h)n. Get an overview of the history of Schloss Kummerow and the history of the village of Cummerow, which was first mentioned in a document in 1222.

The history of Schloss Kummerow is directly linked to the fate of the extensive family of those of Maltza(h)n. Schloss Kummerow was one of several houses from which the old noble family co-determined the fortunes of the people of Mecklenburg and Pomerania as feudal lords and officials of the changing rulers for centuries until the Weimar Republic.

Schloss Kummerow at Lake Kummerow is elegant and pragmatic in its entire complex at the same time and bears witness to the working and power relations of a lost era. The center is the two-storey residential building with approximately 3,000 square metres.

Schloss Kummerow through the ages

To the right and left of the large residential building, the castle extends architecturally through galleries that conclude with two-storey pavilions. All elements together form a closed bar to the lake. The square in front of it, the Cour d’Honneur, opens to the village of Kummerow and is surrounded by mighty functional buildings. They tell of the fact that one not only resided here, but also managed to run the château successfully.

Coming from the village you can see only this representative side. But on an axis from the former gate entrance to the house, one passes through the main portal into the interior of the Corps de Logis, then the vestibule behind it with its magnificent stairway, further the widening ballroom and finally from here the Garden portal, opens the view to the private, complex artistic and romantic side of the house.

Here we look through well-arranged tree groups into a Lenné’s landscape garden. It opens towards the lake and down from the hill on which the castle rises, we overlook to the southern end of Lake Kummerow, whose entire area can only be guessed from here. When one comes to the shore, the length of the lake of about eleven kilometers offers a far-sightedness in way that that the northern edges seem to merge with the sky. The opposite bank, on the other hand, offers views of the sprawling hills of Mecklenburg, which rise above the water against the horizon.

The description of what we see is similar to that of an Arcadian image with a designed and multifaceted axes of view. In Kummerower Park, as in Potsdam or Schwerin, a natural idea was rationally staged in such a planned way that one still marvels today at how sustainable the overall impression of individual elements of a built landscape, cleverly composed from natural stages, touches our minds.

On the one hand, the castle, i.e. the rational daywork of commitments and on the other hand the emotional freedom from dreamy shade and lively sunbeds and into the water, mirrors the hills of one of the most beautiful landscapes in which Germany and Central Europe.

Today, the official name “Naturpark Mecklenburgische Schweiz und Kummerower See” summarizes all that we can conquer as hikers, sailors, cyclists and riders: a journey of national cultural assets reflecting the history of our country.

To this day, the will of individuals, the epochs and fashions, the wars and political systems lends Château Kummerow the in-house patina. Not far from the present castle there used to be a castle, which was cut during the Thirty Years’ War, and with it the old town of Cummerow. Only 16 people are said to have survived the devastation.

What has also been destroyed is its former importance as a city. Situated on the border as a landmark between the two parts of the country, the place was once attributed to Mecklenburg and another time to Pomerania and so its written history soon hides here: in the old descriptions of Prussia, Brandenburg, Pomerania, and finally Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.

Kummerow was a Slavic foundation and was Germanized by Henry the Lion and the Maltzahns. The family was expropriated by the Swedes and soon withdrew their possessions. They fought each other in inheritance matters, happily married into influential families, or shot themselves in duels. They exploited and protected, and they shaped the land according to their power and position.

In 1730, Schloss Kummerow was completed in the late Baroque style, or more figuratively, in the typology of the Versailles model, and only 100 years later it was extended by the landscape park. Time and again, the estate experienced periods of orphanage due to the lively fate of its owners.

After the First World War, the house and the park were extensively renovated. In the Weimar Republic and during National Socialism until 1945, Mortimer von Maltzahn gave the estate a new heyday as a large estate. Mortimer became the first elected mayor and adapted excellently to the new power relations until his expropriation by the land reform of the early GDR.

After 1945, the castle was occupied by Soviet forces and converted into a quarantine camp for refugees and former forced laborers. In the following 40 years until 1993, the château complex was used by the municipality on a variety of occasions.

A consumer sales office with a restaurant, the mayor’s office, a primary school, a kindergarten and a high school were located here. In 1985, the plant became the property of Deutsche Post (GDR).

In 1993 it was sold in private ownership and was initially to be expanded as a hotel. However, these plans have not been implemented.

In 2011, Schloss Kummerow became the property of the current owner, who equipped the castle as a publicly accessible art gallery and his photographic collection. His refurbishment concept encloses the traces of the past and visibly sets new ones only where defects have arisen.

A first exhibition on the Day of the Open Monument on 20 September 2015 attracted 4,000 visitors. With the work of the Dresden painter Eberhard Göschel, the way of reconstruction was successfully underlined. The choice of the artist and the refurbishment concept went hand in hand here to recharge the spirit of the preserved traces with the artist’s painting style and to link his artistic attitude interestingly with the history of the house.

Left traces that tell of life in changing ideologies. Thus, in the Hall of Mirrors, preserved as an old wall painting, it says: “I am the sword! I am the flame! I enlightened you in the darkness, and when the battle began, I fought ahead, in the front row.” Even if the time has run the Heine quote of his former socialist propaganda, it is supposed to cheer the house to new life in its collage-like appearance with feudal offsets.

Timeline of the history of Schloss Kummerow

timeline_pre_loader
The 13th century

1222

First documentary mention as Cummerow

1236

Conquest of Schloss Kummerow. Johann de Mulsan (ancestor of the Maltzahns) is installed as the burgvogt.

1240

Kummerow is attributed to Pomerania.

1255

Kummerow is granted town rights.
The 14th century

1322

The Maltzahns lose the Vogtei. This is followed by decades of rapid change of ownership due to conflicts in the border region.
The 15th century

1481

The Maltzahns receive the Vogtrechte in Kummerow back. This is followed by conflicts over territorial claims and services with the citizens of the city and the dargun monastery.
The 16th century

1532

Hartwig Maltzahn invades the villages and seizes the farmers after long-standing disputes over services and land appropriation.

1578

The hereditary marshal’s office of the Moltans to the east, Wolde and Kummerow is regulated. This office falls to the oldest of the sex.

1588

Hartwig Maltzahn begins a first witch trial against a farmer who is burned on the “Court Mountain”.
The 17th century

From 1618

The Thirty Years’ War is causing great devastation in Kummerow. The castle was partly disturbed.

Around 1600

The Moltzan family of junkers lives in the Kummerow water castle.

From 1652

Westphalian Peace. Kummerow is under Swedish rule.
The 18th century

From 1700

Hans Jakob Maltzahn redeems the Kummerowe estates.

1720

In the peace treaty between Prussia and Sweden, Kummerow fell to the Kingdom of Prussia. The Pomeranian Maltzahns came into direct dependence of Berlin, but remained ideologically committed to the Swedish crown. The youngest of three brothers, Alex Albrecht II, emerges from the ranks and swears the oath of allegiance to the King of Prussia and thus receives the hereditin marshal’s office.

1724

Alex Albrecht II moves to Kummerow.

1725

On the grounds of the Wasserburg am See is the medieval house with tower. In this year ist is burnt down with all its outbuildings. The construction of the present castle begins. The complex follows the type of palace of Versailles.

1730

Completion of the castle. The Meierei Axelhof is established.

1734

Kummerow is granted special rights to settle businesses.

1740/41

First school education in Kummerow. The Maltzahns receive a great fief letter from the Prussian state and are at the height of their power.

1761

Schloss Ivenack is now owned by the second son of Axel Albrecht von Maltzahn.

1763

First compulsory education initiated by Prussian law.

1797

Inheritance comparison between the brothers of Maltzahn.
The 19th century

Around 1830

Transforming the baroque castle garden in the taste of time into a landscape park according to ideas of Peter Joseph Lenné.

1857

Kummerow is in the possession of the chamberlain landscape director Rudolf von Maltzahns on full council rest in Mecklenburg. The castle is orphaned.

1895

Mortimer Bogislaw Ernst August von Maltzahn was born at Schloss Kummerow. He is the last Baron of Maltzahn at Schloss Kummerow. His marriage remains childless.
The 20th century

1918

After the end of the First World War and the beginning of the Weimar Republic, the Maltzahns lost their inheritance claims of political office. Mortimer von Maltzahn lives with his wife at Schloss Kummerow and redesigns the then 250-year-old castle and landscape park.

From 1933

Mortimer von Maltzahn skilfully leads the estate through the Great Depression. Politically, it is oriented towards the rising right forces.

1933 - 1942

The castle and the estate are on the economical upswing. Mortimer von Maltzahn is politically active.

From 1943

Reception of evacuees and refugees.

1945

Russian units move into Kummerov. The castle and manor house serve as quarantine camps. Thousands of former forced laborers are being cared for and smuggled through here. Return and arrest of Mortimer von Maltzahns. The number of refugees doubles from 325 to more than 700.

1947/48

The old possessions are dissolved and expropriated. Mortimer von Maltzahn goes to Düsseldorf and successfully carries out a cleaning business there. The house of the castle is handed over to the municipality for the purpose of various uses and the manor houses fall to the LPG “People’s Friendship”. Both the castle and the village are being modernised and adapted to the new requirements. They are transformed into residential units as a consumer sales office with a restaurant, mayor’s office, school, kindergarten, cultural space, FDJ room, but also housing units.

1964

Renovation of the house of Schloss Kummerow.

1980s

Roofing removed from beaver tail tiles and replaced with concrete blocks.

1985

Deutsche Post plans to expand Schloss Kummerow for the combined telecommunications system as a training and recreation facility.

1992

Sale of the castle to a private person. Vacancy and decay.
The 21st century

2011

Auction to the current owner. This is followed by the completion of the new roof and the former baroque doves, which have now been reinstated.

2015

First use as an exhibition house with works by Eberhard Göschel.

2016

Opening of the Photographic Collection – Schloss Kummerow.